You’ve probably heard a million times the expression “How time flies”, and I can certainly attest to that seeing my three boys growing at the speed of light. It boggles the mind to think of what we used to do before the internet, social media or even mobile phones. After all, the iPhone hasn’t even been around for a decade (it was launched in 2007), while the iPad made its first appearance only six years ago in 2010. So it’s interesting to see a site such as Tripadvisor celebrating its sweet sixteen this year, specially since it was launched at the peak of the dot.com bubble, slightly before the whole thing became a bust.
From Review Site To OTA
Back in 2000, Tripadvisor was essentially a travel review site, which remains its core benefit to this day. Yet it’s been interesting to see recent developments, as its morphs into a full-fledged online travel agency with its Instant Booking feature. These guys understand how to rock travel marketing.
As Tripadvisor turns 16 in 2016, the folks at SunSearchHolidays came up with a nifty infographic highlighting 10 lesser known facts about Tripadvisor, but also many insightful stats that show just how unavoidable the site has become in the travel decision-making ecosystem. Here are a few key stats that stand out:
- Tripadvisor manages & operates 23 other travel media brands, i.e. Cruise Critic.
- There are more than 350 million unique visitors per month on Tripadvisor branded websites!
- 90+ million members have written more than 290 million reviews so far
- There are more than 5.3 million properties listed on Tripadvisor. The most popular category? Restaurants, with more than 3 million.
- 85% of questions posted in the English-speaking forum get answered by other users… within 24 hours!
- There are over 230 million download of its mobile app – in fact Tripadvisor is the most popular mobile app in the travel vertical!
- Almost 50% of user traffic to Tripadvisor comes from mobile or tablet.
Read also: 3 Tips To Rank Higher On Tripadvisor