In the past couple of months, I have had the opportunity to conduct various website and social media audits, mainly for hotels, restaurants and attractions in the travel and hospitality sphere.
While there are certainly many complexities that come into play, I find there are often some pretty simple, low hanging fruits that brands can zoom in, in order to have a much more performing website and overall online presence.
Often, this boils down to a better understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) dynamics, and how we can improve our rankings.
The folks at SEO Tribunal came up with this very insightful infographic highlighting SEO trends to look out for in 2018. Most, if not all of the stats and insights are applicable to travel brands. Some of the key takeaways:
- 70-80% of search engine users only focus on the organic results, ignoring paid ads. (Skeptics will rightly say that 20-30% of search engine users thus click on paid results, which makes for a whopping business model, specially for OTAs…)
- 50% of all online search will be voice searches by 2020
- 58% of all searches now come from mobile devices
- Page speed, content quality, backlink profile, bounce rate, SSL security, CTR, images and time spent on your website are key ranking factors
- 46% of all Google searches are local and nearly 1/3 of all mobile searches are related to location
These, and many more stats, can be found in the infographic below. Enjoy!