It’s been an eventful year, and mostly positive on my end, so knock on wood! Before anything else, I just wanted to take this moment to thank you for reading this blog and being a part of my network. Travel & hospitality, marketing, strategy, social media, mobile and new technologies are among the topics I cover here as they are what I am passionate about, as I believe you are as well.
So thank you for sharing and commenting on the content published here, as it keeps me going and wanting to push the envelope some more in 2014!
TOP 5 OF 2013
Since I publish once per week here (as well as once per week on the French side of this blog, with different content, by the way), there were over 50 posts published in 2013. Here were the most popular in terms of readership:
- Canada Tourism: The Downward Spiral Continues published on July 1, 2013 (3,365 views)
- 5 Social Media Marketing Trends for 2014 published on November 3, 2013 (3,285 views)
- How Google Plans to Dominate the Travel Sphere published on January 20, 2013 (2882 views)
- 5 Tips for a Better Email Signature published on June 23, 2013 (2,099 views)
- Hot Social Media Trends for 2013: Blogs, Podcasts & Videos published on April 21, 2013 (2,080 views)
It’s no surprise to see “trends” and lists featured in this top 5 as these posts tend to perform better than average. I am quite pleased to see a variety of posts making it into this top 5, yet it would really be interesting if I could gather the data as well from third parties, since my posts get republished on various sites through blog syndication.
Many guest posts, too
In 2013, my posts got republished on SocialMediaToday, Business2Community, Skift, Tnooz, and ehotelier among others. In terms of sharing popularity on SocialMediaToday, here were 2013’s most popular posts:
- 5 Social Media Marketing Trends for 2014 shared over 3,000 times so far, a month after its publication!
- 10 Women That Rock Our Social Media World! with more than 915 shares since publication on March 4.
- Social Media Defined By Kids [VIDEO] with over 900 shares since publication, on May 5.
- The Innovation Obligation: 4 Key Principles with close to 800 shares since publication on April 28.
- Facebook Graph Search: A Foursquare-Killer? with over 725 shares since publication on January 28.
It’s interesting to see that what’s popular on my blog is not necessarily what’s most popular on sites such as SocialMediaToday, most probably because of the nature of the audience and fields of interests. Let’s be clear, though: I write with this blog in mind first, so whatever happens after on third parties is great, but it remains gravy!
My personal favorite of the past year? Why The Destination Marketing Organization Model is Broken
It did not make the top 5 but was certainly a very popular post that got republished on the influential site Skift back in July. I think the topic resonated with many folks in the travel industry, not just destination managers…
On that note, I wish you well for the coming Holidays and for the fresh new year to come. There will be plenty of topics to cover and discussions to have, but in the meantime I trust you will take some time to rest and enjoy some R&R with family, friends and relatives. All the best for 2014 and I look forward to seeing you here in the New Year!